sweet baked broccoli

when i posted about baked broccoli here before, i guaranteed that baking is the best way to cook broccoli.  it yields soft, tender stems and crunchy, flavorful florets.  and they are easy to toss in some olive oil and a few seasonings before roasting for less than a half an hour.  even better than the curry powder i flavored it with before, is a little agave, spices and sesame seeds.

this sweet and savory broccoli recipe has quickly become a favorite of mine, i’ve made it 3 times in the past week!  it was even approved as delicious by my roommate, a self-proclaimed broccoli hater.  so give it a go, i’m sure you’ll love it!

sweet baked broccoli
about 1 lb broccoli florets
3 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp agave
3/4 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tbsp sesame seeds

wash all the broccoli and shake dry.  cut off the florets, i like to leave a little bit of the stem but break everything into fairly small pieces.  then towel dry all the pieces to remove excess water.

in a large bowl toss the broccoli florets well with the olive oil and agave, letting them seep into all the little crevasses.  then evenly mix in the salt, spices and sesame seeds.

bake at 400F for 20 minutes, then stir and bake for another 5-10 minutes, until the tops of the broccoli are all brown and crispy.  don’t let them cool too much before enjoying, they are most delicious when warm.

yields 2-3 servings as a side*

*or 1 serving for someone who loves broccoli as much as me

Comments

17 Responses to “sweet baked broccoli”
  1. Brian says:

Looks good. Did you do anything special with the rice?

2. Jennifer says:

That looks amazing. I have been wanting some new easy veggie recipes and I Love broccoli! Thank you for sharing :)

3. What beautiful pictures! I love roasted broccoli, it is definitely my favorite way to prepare the vegetable. The crisp, crunchy florets are too delicious!

4. OM NOM NOM… do want. i love broccoli roasted or baked or steamed or raw or any way! : )
    i’ll have to make this sometime.

5. Courtney says:

MMMM! I LOVE BROCCOLI! I also want to say, I have been a long time fan of your blog. Keep doing what you are doing! Your layout, recipes, as well as what you have to say keep me entertained and inspired to keep on cookin’.

6. Joanne says:

I am a HUGE proponent of roasted broccoli but haven’t thought to sweet/salty it up! sounds delicious.

7. Courtney says:

I made this tonight and truly LOVE IT! I added a pinch or so of cayenne, because I am addicted to spice.

8. Nora says:

Hi Jaqueline! I gave you a Sunshine Award on my blog! :) http://prideandvegudice.com/2010/06/25/862/ This broccoli looks so delicious!

9. Morgan says:

Wow, this looks so good!

10. sandy says:

Broccoli is always my love! I think the dish with broccoli is very delicious.

11. Brittany says:

this is soooo good!!! I’ve made it no fewer than four times this week!

12. Jen says:

New to your blog, but this looks absolutely gorgeous and I can’t wait to pick up some broccoli and do exactly this with it. The pictures are amazing, they jump off the page and they are making me seriously hungry!

13. REbecca FErguson says:

where does one get agave??? is it a plant? sold in grocery stores, health stores???

1. […] pepper, lemon juice, fresh basil, sliced garlic, and sometimes some parmesan. But this recipe from Sweet Beet and Green Bean is my favorite way to shake things up a […]