coconut and oat pancakes

i’ve been eying this recipe by orangette for a while now, and finally attempted something similar.  instead of buttermilk to soak the oats in i knew i could use thick and slightly sweet coconut milk, so i tossed in a little shredded coconut while i was at it.  it all soaks in the fridge for a few hours, which makes the oats swell up and get incredibly soft, sticky and chewy.

instead of egg, the vegan baking standard of flax eggs hold up quite well, especially for pancakes.  instead of butter i use half the amount of canola oil and instead of sugar maple syrup is perfect.

the batter is thick and gooey, which results in an extremely soft and delicate pancake, which must be cooked slowly, but boy are they worth it.  they are hardy and filling, almost like eating a thick bowl of oatmeal but in a short stack.  and when topped with fruit and drizzled with maple syrup who could resist?

coconut and oat pancakes
14oz or 1 3/4 c coconut milk
1 c rolled oats
1/2 c dried shredded unsweetened coconut
1 1/2 tbsp flax seeds
1/4 c water
1/4 c canola oil
1/4 c maple syrup
1/3 c flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

pour the coconut milk over the oats and shredded coconut, cover and stick in the fridge over night or at least for a few hours.  the oats and coconut absorb nearly all the water from the milk, fluffing up nicely.

when returning to the kitchen to start the pancake process, put the flax seeds (i used golden flax) in the water to soak for at least 10-15 minutes.  they should form a sort of gooey gel around them.

separately sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.

blend the soaked flax seeds on high for 30-45 seconds, then add in the maple syrup and the oil and blend for an additional minute.  the seeds should break up nicely, if any stick to the walls of the pitcher turn off the blender, scrape them down and blend again.

mix these liquid ingredients in with the soaked oats and coconut, then sprinkle in the dry ingredients and gently mix in.

heat up a large pan over medium-high heat, but then reduce to medium for cooking the pancakes.  coat the pan with a little canola cooking spray and dose out fourth cup portions.  let cook for at 4-5 minutes or until lightly golden brown on the bottom, starting to cook around the edges but still wet in the middle.  gently flip and cook for another 3 minutes or so on the other side.

stack up, top with fruit like banana and frozen blueberries, and enjoy!

yields 3-4 servings

Comments

17 Responses to “coconut and oat pancakes”
  1. Nicole says:

i WISH I could cook like this. You are amazing and these look delicious.

2. Valen says:

I love the recipe and the pictures!

3. Anne says:

I just whipped up a batch of pancake mix for the week. Oh how I wish I’d seen these first! Next week I will be tucking into a stack of these. Yum!

4. coconut milk and flax seeds! what a great recipe! lovely.

5. t says:

I’m obsessed with pancakes and this recipe looks like a must-try!

6. Oaty vegan pancakes and with coconut & maple syrup!! These look absolutely delicious… mmmmmmm

7. Ksenia says:

I bookmarked the recipe :) I love oats and I love coconut (can you believe that I tried coconut milk for the first time in my life just some month ago? It tastes delicious in your morning coffee!) so these pancakes sound perfect :)

8. Lisa Marie says:

Those pancakes look amazingly yummy. I am definitely going to try this out. I never would have thought to use coconut in pancakes. Awesome.

9. Twila says:

These pancakes are TO DIE FOR! I made them for a group of 12 last night, and they went quickly, let me tell you. The biggest compliment was paid by my husband who really dislikes regular pancakes when he said they were “killer” and he “could live on” them!
    I did omit the coconut shreds because I’m not a big fan of the texture. But the coconut milk gave it a lovely sweet flavor. We were calling them Oatmeal Cookie Pancakes.
    So, thank you!!

10. Very interesting pancakes recipe! it looks really delicious. I’ve seen some recipe, from Southeast Asian country, where the use of coconut milk is really common, but yours is definitely different and I love it, I got to try this one too, Thanks.

11. REbecca FErguson says:

these are amazing. i love em!

12. REbecca FErguson says:

these are amazing.

13. Sandeepa says:

They look really good and I am gonna try making them for breakfast tomorrow. Will let you know how I go! Thanks heaps for sharing this receipe!

1. [...] a sunday favourite, stack ‘o pancakes! I made this recipe from the amazing food blog Sweet Beat & Green Bean and boy, they were [...]

2. [...] Go decadent with tiramisu pancakes or add some coconut and oats for these precious pretties. [...]

3. [...] decadent with tiramisu pancakes or add some coconut and oats for these precious pretties. This entry was posted in celebrations and tagged sweets, valentine by jaclyn. Bookmark the [...]