Vegan Apricot Scones

I don’t understand why it’s considered normal to eat super sweet food first thing in the morning.  If I wake up and eat a blueberry muffin my blood sugar will be bouncing up and down all day, let alone pancakes or waffles stacked high and drizzled in syrup.  That’s why I usually look to the not-so-sweet to satisfy my early morning hunger, a slice of whole grain toast, porridge, or a scone.

This simple recipe is hard to screw up.  If you’re feeling creative you can throw in other flavors like vanilla, cinnamon, or lemon zest.  Feel free to replace the apricots with another fruit or leave them out completely.  I added them because I love their fresh tart taste and they are so cheap at the market right now, as low as $1 a pound!
Apricot Scones
1 c unbleached flour
1 c whole wheat flour (plus some for the outside)
1/4 c turbinado sugar (plus some for sprinkling on top)
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c vegan margarine
1/2 c soy milk
1 tbsp white or rice vinegar
1/4 c ice cold water
1 1/2 c diced apricots

Add the vinegar to the soy milk and set aside to thicken.  Dice the apricots and make sure you have the full 1 and 1/2 cups, then set aside.

Sift together the flours and baking powder, mix in the sugar and salt, then cut in the margarine.  If you don’t have a hand pastry blender which is made just for this, then use a strong fork and it will work the same.  Work until there are little clumps, those are perfect because if they stay cold until they get in the oven, they will melt into flakey little pockets.

Add in the soy milk/vinegar mixture, then the ice water and mix quickly yet gently until there there are no large dry patches, little clumps are fine.  You want to work the dough as little as possible, to keep the scones soft.  Over stirring will work the gluten in the flour into sticky strands and break up those nice little margarine clumps.  Then add in the diced apricots and loosely incorporate, it’s okay if they aren’t completely mixed in.

Sprinkle additional whole wheat flour over the top and on a clean dry surface, pat the dough into a loose ball and turn onto the floured surface.  The dough should be soft and moist inside, held loosely together by the thin layer of flour on the outside.  For bigger scones, you can cut this ball of dough into six equal wedges and bake.  but i prefer a smaller, more manageable scone, so i halve it, pat each piece into a little circle and divide it into six wedges.

Handle those wedges very gently when transferring to a baking tray covered in parchment paper, so they maintain that wedge shape scones are known for.  Then sprinkle with more turbinado sugar if you’d like.

Bake for 20-25 minutes at 400F.  Enjoy immediately or keep dry in a sealed container for later use.  They also freeze well!

Yields 12 mini scones or 6 large ones

Would go great with:

this recipe was featured on slashfood.com

Comments

16 Responses to “Vegan Apricot Scones”
  1. A kindred eater! I, too, can’t eat sweets first thing in the morning.

These look divine.

2. Gina says:

Those look beautiful!! Seems like I should pick up some apricots 🙂

3. lovely pictures as usual!

I agree with the overly sweet things for breakfast…sometimes it seems like a good idea but I end up paying for it in crankiness for the rest of the day!

4. Lacey says:

I made these over the weekend and they turned out AMAZING. Probably the best scone I’ve ever had [even pre-vegan days]! I may try to experiment with spices/fruits next.

• jacqueline says:

yeah, i was surprised by how well they turned out on my first try. usually with baked goods it can take 3-4 tries to get a new recipe right.

i think these would be super amazing with fresh cherries and chocolate chips, you could add cocoa powder and coconut flakes, or there must be a way to do a savory version with vegan cheese or caramelized onions. ooh the possibilities!

5. etan says:

This is one of the best recipees I have ever taken off the internet. I used chocolate soy milk since I didn’t have any plain and apple cider vineger, less sugar and a little bit of applejuice concentrate.

6. Leigh says:

Hi Jacqueline…

I tried your recipe and it worked beautifully! The only challenge was that the dough was a bit sticky and I didn’t want to overflour the top and bottom. So, they came out a bit less wedgy but delicious nonetheless. We wondered if maybe turning the dough out onto parchment paper and cutting through the parchment would help? Suggestions welcome. Pictures on my blog, recipe links back to you. 🙂 Cheers!

7. Lauren says:

I would love to make these for a tea shower I’m hosting this weekend, but i can’t find any fresh apricots! Do you think they’ll be just as good with dried apricots?

• jacqueline says:

if you use dried apricots just soak them in water for about an hour before hand so they’ll re-hydrate a bit. but these would also be really good with all sorts of other fruits. like pluots or nectarines which are in season, cherries, strawberries or even apples!

let me know what you end up doing.

8. Deepa says:

Oh my god! the Apricots look stunning! the scones look devourable, if there is such a thing! Agree on sweet breakfasts.. us Indians prefer nice, savoury breakfasts, made HOT & usually with whole grains, with either lentils added ( in teh case of pancakes & steamed cakes – Dosas & Idlies) or with yoghurt / buttermilk ( in case of flatbreads) for protein!
    Alas, all sorts of western white breads & packaged cereals, eggs etc seem to be taking over today….
    Just a request, you recipes are GORGEOUS… can you please enable an e-mail subscribe?As an aside, Indian food has Gorgeous vegan options – the best part is you dont need to substitute anything – they are created vegan!

9. Tina Smith says:

I made these scones with dried apricots and they are the best scones I have ever made, and I’ve tried many recipes. I was in a hurry and didn’t take the time to rehydrate the apricots but since they weren’t too dry and hard they turned out just fine! I don’t like sweets for breakfast either but these scones have just the right amount of sugar to give them a hint of sweetness without going overboard. I skipped the sugar on top. Great anytime of the day or night!

10. Maggie says:

I also made these with dried apricots (and dried cranberries) and they turned out perfect. I used real butter instead of the margarine. Incredibly tasty for a whole wheat scone, and I’ve tried many. This recipe is a keeper for sure. Even my toddlers liked it! Thank you!

1. […] My desire to be at market evaporated instantly after that interaction and we left shortly afterward. Yes, I could have picked up some eggs elsewhere, and likely will before the week is out, but I considered the mission a failure. (No, I’m never accused of being melodramatic. Why do you ask?) I did pick up some green and purple beans, the leeks and zucchini, some wonderful garlic and a strange looking cucumber, in addition to the blackberries. Once home, the apricots (found at Ingles earlier in the week) were turned into scones, using a recipe adapted from Jacqueline’s at sweet beet and green bean. […]

2. […] used to make vegan scones by mixing a bit of soy milk and vinegar to replace the egg, i’ve filled them with stone fruit […]