lemon lavender cookies

when i first had the idea for this recipe i wanted to call it a lavenderdoodle.  i was inspired by the simplicity of snickerdoodles – basically a sugar cookie rolled in cinnamon sugar – so i wanted to make a version with lavender instead.

but the final result ended up much more subtle, not resembling a snickerdoodle at all.  they are a simple sugar cookie with hints of lemon and lavender.  it is great as a tea cookie.

lemon lavender cookies
3 tbsp soy milk
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp lemon zest
1 c sugar
1/2 c earth balance (or other vegan margarine)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/3 c flour
1/4 c sugar (for rolling)
2 tsp lavender

add the soy milk, lemon juice and lemon zest together and set aside to let thicken.  this works as a egg replacer in cookies or cakes.

meanwhile, work on creaming together the sugar and margarine. i find that using a fork helps a lot, but use an electric mixer if you have one. once the mixture is even you can add the vanilla extract and soy milk concoction and continue to mix.

in a large bowl sift the flour, baking soda and salt. add the wet ingredients to the dry and work until the dough is even and slightly firm. leave the dough in the the refrigerator for a few minutes before rolling into balls, and whenever you aren’t using it.

grind the whole lavender before mixing with the remaining sugar.  i do this with a mortar and pestle, but you could use a spice grinder, food processor or even a blender.  if you have none of the above you could roll the cookies in whole lavender, the flavor just won’t be as even.

mix the ground lavender and sugar on a large plate for rolling the cookies in.

spoon small, even amounts of the dough into your hands and roll into a ball, then roll evenly in the lavender sugar and place on a cookie sheet covered in parchment paper or aluminum foil. repeat for 6 cookies per pan, then press the dough flat with your hand, the bottom of a glass, or the back of a fork.

bake at 375F for 8-10 minutes. they should no longer look fluffy but make sure to get them out before they brown too much around the edges. let them cool for a minute on the pan before you remove them to cool further on a cooling rack.

yields 24 cookies

Comments

17 Responses to “lemon lavender cookies”
  1. Tessa says:

These are gorgeous! Snickerdoodles are among my favorite kinds of cookies, and I can’t wait to try this recipe!

2. Marcella says:

i love flower flavoring in my cooking, there really aren’t enough recipes like this out there. i must try it :D.

3. Oscar says:

So can you really taste the lavender?

4. jacqueline says:

it’s subtle, but yeah!

5. I adore lavender in baking! these little balls look and sound yummy!

6. This is such a great combination of flavors!

7. Michelle says:

These are just lovely~

8. Joyce says:

I’ll try these but replace the soy milk (please read up on the problems with eating soy) with pure almond milk, and use real butter (not into the fake stuff).

9. Zachary says:

Wow! They are amazing best cookies I have ever made we have so much lavender in the garden so no problem with that =) you will not regret making these

10. Hi there would you mind sharing which blog platform you’re working with? I’m looking to start my own blog soon but I’m having a tough time deciding between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal. The reason I ask is because your design seems different then most blogs and I’m looking for something unique.
    P.S Sorry for being off-topic but I had to ask!

11. Liz says:

Hi,

I’d like to use coconut oil instead of earth balance, do you know if its a 1:1 replacement?
    These look great.

Thanks!

• I’ve never tried cookies like this with coconut oil but I have tried them with other oils. In general oils will usually yield a crunchier cookie, but yes a 1:1 ratio would work great. Let me know how it goes!

• Erica says:

I subbed a few things the earth balance w/ coconut oil, the soy milk for almond and the regular flour w/ gluten free. The flavor of the cookie is great, but they were a little too flat. I think this substitutes will work if I make bars. So next time I will roll it out into a square pan and cut after they cool.

1. [...] Comment on lemon lavender cookies by Marcella i love flower flavoring in my cooking, there really aren’t enough recipes like this out there. i must try it .Tags:  comment, cookies, cooking, flavoring, flower, lavender, lemon, like, love, marcella, recipes Categories: Superfood Experts Tags: Comments (0) Trackbacks (0) Leave a comment Trackback [...]