kidney bean and quinoa burgers

why buy overpriced frozen veggie burgers at the store when you can make them at home on the cheap?  all you need is some beans, grains, and a little corn starch to hold it together and you have quite the tasty vegan patty.  you could even get creative by adding  vegetables like sweet potatoes, corn, or zucchini.

this is a pretty simple recipe, i seasoned it mostly with cumin for a zesty flavor, but feel free to experiment with your own mélange – garlic, cayenne, dill, you name it!

kidney bean and quinoa patties
1/2 c dry kidney beans
1/2 c dry quinoa
1 tsp salt (divided)
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp basil
1 tsp oregano
2 tsp cumin
1/4 c corn starch
1 tbsp olive oil (plus some for frying)

soak the kidney beans a few hours ahead of time so they soften up and are easier to cook.  i let mine soak for at least 6 hours so they began to sprout, which activates their enzymes and starts breaking down their complex carbohydrates to help you digest them better.

cook the beans with the quinoa in 2 cups of water covered on low heat for about 20-30 minutes until most of the water has cooked off and the beans and quinoa are tender.

let cool for at least 10 minutes.

in a medium sized bowl mash the beans with a potato masher or fork so there arn’t big chunks.  mix in the spices, corn starch and oil.

in a medium-sized frying pan heat up some olive oil (i used 1 tablespoon per patty) over medium heat.  fry the patties until they are brown on each side, which should take about 1-2 minutes.

you’ll notice the patties will turn a nice toasty brown, not unlike the color of an actual hamburger.

serve immediately or keep warm on a plate in the oven at 200F.

yields 6 patties

Comments

34 Responses to “kidney bean and quinoa burgers”
  1. Christabel says:

This looks great! Do you think it’d work with other kinds of grains (I haven’t found quinoa at my local shops yet)?

2. jacqueline says:

yah! i’ve made them with barley before, and i bet brown rice would work just as well.

3. sarah p says:

great recipe! just made some, made a couple subsitutions, just flour instead of corn starch bc thats all i had in the house, and i baked them too. might need to tweak it a bit for the baking but other wise very very yummy!

4. Monica says:

I’m on the search for the ultimate veggie burger recipe. I’m looking for a burger that’s not what I call a “mush burger”. How do these guys hold their shape in the bun? They look delicious!

• jacqueline says:

they hold up pretty well! the corn starch helps a lot. i tried it without the starch and the quinoa kept frying and flaking off, but with it the patty holds together quite nicely.

5. T says:

lot of times you will find quinoa at your local supermarket in the health food section

6. Christine says:

I just popped in to print this recipe off again! This is my FAVORITE burger recipe (FWIW, I’m not even vegetarian). THANK YOU!

7. gina says:

so i had chicken nuggets as a meal at camp a while ago and i had this recipe, but not a lot of the ingredients. i ended up using black beans, kidney beans, a bit of extra firm tofu, diced potato (boiled), garlic powder, onion powder, cumin and salt. shaped them in little rounds and baked them so they’d have bite size things to eat. they were soft at first and hard to pick up, but once they cooled a bit, they held their shape in your hand. they were pretty good! i used brown rice the second time around and it had a better shape. i recently got quinoa and can’t wait to try the actual recipe for the veggies at camp.

• jacqueline says:

that sounds good! i tried to make a mostly veggie based patty, with things like corn and carrots and stuff. but i think i baked them too long because they were tough and dried out. i liked the texture better when i fried them, but it’s less healthy and more painstaking.

8. Lindsey says:

One of my favorite veg burger recipes. I highly recommend it!

9. These look awesome. I like many other are on a journey for a vegan burger that taste good and doesn’t fall apart. I’ve used flax egg (ground up flax mixed with water) but will try making these with corn starch. I am so glad I stumbled onto you website. Thanks!

10. erin says:

I’ve been looking for a good quinoa-based veggie burger recipe. I can’t wait to try this one out. Sounds delicious.

11. Kimmy says:

That looks sooo good I can’t wait to try it!

12. Susan L says:

Thanks so much for this excellent recipe! I’ve been looking for a something that I can make for work that a.) uses ingredients we already have in the house, b.) is vegetarian, easy and quick, and c.) delicious. These burgers are the answer to my weekday rut – thanks again!

13. Paul Heckel says:

These patties are absolutely phenomenal! The primary spice I used was Penzeys “Barbecue of the Americas.” I made very average black bean burgers a couple of times, but these blow them away. I am making six more with the excess beans I soaked. Thanks for the recipe!

For anyone’s potential benefit, I initially attempted to bake these but after my first check on them, I aborted that mission and went for the fry pan. Best decision of the night.

14. Sylvia says:

I made these yesterday. They’re delicious! I used pintos instead of kidneys, and for the spices I used garlic powder and parsley. Also threw in some chopped onion and broccoli. Delicious! Thanks for posting!

15. Beth Jane says:

Just made these and was really surprised at how well they turned out! I had nothing in the fridge to use but some quinoa in the cupboard and i’m so pleased i found this. I added a few more kidney beans so to use up the tin and some red split lentils that i had lying around, i also put a bit of muscovado sugar in to suit my sweet tooth :) They tasted really nice (i could only eat one they are really filling! )
    Frozen the left overs and will defiantly make again, perfect for when my dad has curry cause i can have these instead :)

16. REbecca FErguson says:

I loved these, but can you freeze them? i made a whole bunch and now i have tonnes leftover

• jacqueline says:

i’ve never tried that but i bet it would work just fine! if they are already cooked just freeze them with pieces of parchment or wax paper between to keep from sticking, but still inside a sealed container. then you should be able to warm up in a toaster oven and serve in a few minutes.

let me know how it goes!

• trA says:

I froze the uncooked patties in foil greased with olive oil (all i had), and cooked them the next day, 1st on medium heat to thaw a little, then on medium-high, to get a nice browning…Very delicious and flavorful, though i added bell peppers, zucchini, and smoked paprika 2 the ingredients…Great recipe nonetheless! 1st and BEST homemade vegan burger! Adding to my database…haha.

17. Cassie says:

I was told by my doctor today that despite having dropped 10% of my body weight in the last few months that I am now diabetic AND have high cholesterol AND that my blood test came back neg for pregnancy. I was shocked. AM shocked that with my increasingly healthy lifestyle that this has happened. It has been a pretty crappy day. Time to fight back I guess.I decided that I am going to go pretty heavy into beans and whole grains and try to drop meat nearly completely from my diet. I was most pleased to not only see an easy recipe for veggie burgers but one that also has such great comments. I’m AM going to try this when I get home from vacation next week. Or maybe tomorrow, lol. I’ll be back with my findings! Thank you for posting!

• jacqueline says:

if your problems are diabetes and high cholesterol you probably already know to really watch your intake of carbohydrates and fats (especially cooked oils.) i use whole grains like rice, quinoa, or oats to replace things like bread, pasta and tortillas. you can keep some meat in your diet but small amounts of high quality stuff is key (a few ounces ever 2-3 days is fine.) this recipe can also be baked instead of fried to reduce oil, and you can wrap it in a large lettuce leaf instead of a bready bun. let me know how it turns out!

18. Cassie says:

I tried these today and am currently sitting here eating one. I used 1/4c each (3/4each total for 3 burgers) of cooked mashed beans and quinoa. I added 3 diced grape tomatoes and 1 clove of crushed and lightly sauteed(in grapeseed oil) garlic. I added a dash of onion powder and a dash of chili powder. After lightly frying in a tsp of grapeseed oil each I let them cool a little and spread a tsp of no sugar added ketchup on top and sprinkled with raw onions. I am eating it off of a plate and it is very good!

19. Jeffery says:

Made this today. Doubled the recipe but cut the corn starch in half because I was low on it. Also added onion powder and red pepper. Dropped the basil and oregano. It turned out good. Had as a steak with cream gravy on top. Thanks.

20. Made these per recipe except binding with chick pea flour instead of corn starch. Yumm! Good recipe. Thank you! PS. I am vegetarian. Bela is mostly but loves a good hamburger. I put romaine lettuce, tomato slices, thin red onion slices and one of these patties on the top. A sliced avocado on the side. Mustard and mayo on the side and she loved it!

21. Sophie says:

Can i used canned kidney beans instead? also if i do, do i cook them or can I just mix them in with the cooked quinoa?

• jacqueline says:

you can used canned beans it you prefer, they are already cooked so you don’t need to cook them again.

22. Hannah says:

I made these for dinner last night and they were fantastic. Thank you! Not mushy at all and I imagine very versatile. Great recipe :-)

1. [...] kidney bean and quinoa burger Image by sweetbeetandgreenbean for the recipe: sweetbeetandgreenbean.net/2009/02/04/kidney-bean-and-quin… [...]

2. [...] Eggplant Carnitas Tacos. And the Baked Spinach and Pasta with Creamy Roasted Garlic Sauce. These Kidney Bean and Quinoa Burgers look pretty [...]

3. [...] kidney bean and quinoa burger Image by sweetbeetandgreenbean for the recipe: sweetbeetandgreenbean.net/2009/02/04/kidney-bean-and-quin… [...]