fried banana wontons

a few months ago i posted about using wonton wrappers to make chik’n and mushroom wontons, and since then i have been experimenting with all their possibilities.  i’ve tried little veggie spring rolls, pumpkin potstickers, mini apple pie wontons, and now, the simpilest of all, fried banana wontons.

there’s very little prep work to make these little treats.  just slice up a banana, sprinkle it with some ground cloves, fold the wrapper around it and fry!  you could prep them ahead of time and fry them up for the perfect dessert to end an asian-inspired dinner.

fried banana wontons
2 bananas
13-14 wonton wrappers
ground cloves
1 c oil (coconut is best for high temps like this)
powdered sugar

i was able to get these organic bananas at my local grocery store for only 99 cents a pound.

slice your bananas in sections about 1 inch across.

on a wide dry surface lay out your wonton wrappers, banana slices, cloves and have a small bowl of water ready.

place the slice of banana in the center of the wonton wrapper.  sprinkle with ground cloves.

fold one corner over to the top of the banana slice, dab the corner with a bit of the water, fold the next corner over and so on until the banana is sealed inside.

repeat until all the banana slices are used.

heat up the oil in a medium to small frying pan over high heat.  let it warm up for at least 1-2 minutes before gently dropping in a few of the wontons to cook.

fry until lightly brown on one side, then flip.  if you oil is really hot this shouldn’t take more than 30-45 seconds, but at the beginning it may take up to 60 seconds.  just keep an eye on them.

once fully cooked, scoop them out onto a cooling rack or plate covered with a paper towel to soak up some of the oil.

they aren’t super sweet on their own so i like to serve them dusted with powdered sugar and some agave on the side for dipping.

Comments

22 Responses to “fried banana wontons”
  1. Brittany says:

I need these in my life!

2. Mom says:

Hey these look great! Try a little chocolate , cinnamon-sugar, chopped nuts, strawberry slices or chopped cherries or even all of the above for a banana split taste!

3. Dia says:

These look yummy. I want some!

4. Mandee says:

Yummo! What a great idea, now I just have to find/make gfree wonton wrappers!

5. alysse says:

i have been wanting to make these since you posted them… i <3 bananna!

6. Piegirl says:

These look gooooood! I bet plaintains would work, too!

You might like to try this baked version of your fried banana wontons:
    Baked Banana Spice Wontons by Vanilla Garlic. I made them a month ago and my hubby said they were “expensive restaurant good!” :)P

7. liz {zested} says:

These look great! I’ve baked with wontons, using them as crunchy cups for appetizers, but I’ve not yet friend them. I love the idea of using them as dessert wrappers.

• jacqueline says:

i’ve thought about baking the wonton wrappers but haven’t tried it yet. do you have to brush them with oil or will they bake fine just as they are? do you just use one or a few layers? and what sort of things do you put in the middle?

8. kayce. says:

did you use a special kind of wonton wrapper? last time i used them, i checked b/c i thought they were vegan, but they have eggs in them. it’s way down on the ingredients list, but they’re there.

(full disclosure: i’m not a vegan, but i thought that a recipe i made for my blog was inadvertently vegan and delicious so i wanted to celebrate the fact.)

9. jacqueline says:

the ones i bought were vegan, i remember being surprised that they were. the larger egg roll wrappers by the same company were not, and the store didn’t have any other brands for me to compare them to, but they are out there!

10. Kevin says:

Those look nice and crispy and good!

11. dasha says:

with coconut ice cream!

12. Tom says:

These came out great. Instead of powdered sugar I used honey and sprinkled sesame seeds on them just like a local Thai restaurant makes them. Very tasty!

13. hope says:

maybe with a little peanut butter!!

14. Christine says:

I love to drizzle a little sweetened condensed milk. It’s easy and delicious! 🙂

15. Kathy Line says:

Can’t wait to try these!

1. […] day of work for her and posted some pictures and they looked so good! Then there’s that easy Fried Banana Wonton recipe I stumbled on the other day. Will have to make something special for Jackson besides the 3-D […]

2. […] Source: Sweet Beet and Green Bean […]

3. […] organic bananas Image by sweetbeetandgreenbean for the recipe: sweetbeetandgreenbean.net/2009/01/30/fried-banana-wontons/ […]