vegan thanksgiving: herb mashed potatoes with a super simple gravy

there are lots of ways to make vegan gravy.  some saute mushrooms, garlic or onions to go for a thicker, chunkier consistency.  i prefer a simple smooth gravy, like i had growing up.  this recipe only has 5 ingredients and takes about 5 minutes to make.

and while gravy tastes good on pretty much anything you eat at thanksgiving, i’ve served it here with it’s classic pal, mashed potatoes.  they are made with red skinned potatoes and flavored with sage and dill, herbs which add a delightful and subtle flavor to nearly any dish.

enjoy this thursday!

herb mashed potatoes
8-9 red skin potatoes
1/4 c butter
1/4 c soy milk
1 tbsp sage, fresh or dried
1 1/2 tsp dill, fresh or dried
1 tsp salt

super simple gravy
1/3 c earth balance
5 tbsp whole wheat flour
1 tbsp liquid aminos
1 c veggie broth (check out vegan yum yum for a great recipe)
1/3 c water

bring 2 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot. add the potatoes coarsely chopped, so they will cook faster.  i like to leave the skins on but if you can skin them if you’d like.

cover and let cook for at least 20 minutes.  they should be soft.

turn off the heat and strain the potatoes.  return them to the pot and begin mashing.

add in the butter, soy milk, herbs and salt and mix completely.

in a small sauce pan melt the earth balance for the gravy on low heat.

add in the flour little by little until the mixture turns into a paste-like substance.

then add in the liquid aminos, veggie broth and water.  turn up the heat to medium and let some of the liquid cook off until it’s the consistency you’d like.

pour over the mash potatoes and enjoy!

Comments

11 Responses to “vegan thanksgiving: herb mashed potatoes with a super simple gravy”
  1. fairygodbadger says:

I’ve never purchased liquid aminos for a n y t h i n g . For some reason (perhaps the name) I’ve had an aversion to it but this recipe might do the trick. Smooth gravy rocks! And I would like to add the utter awesomeness of the progression photos. As a good baker, but not so good chef, I needs me the picture to know if I’m doin’ it right.

2. jacqueline says:

liquid aminos is amazing, i put it on nearly anything. it’s a lot like soy sauce or tamari but it doesn’t have any preservatives.

glad you like the photos!

3. Jesse says:

Do you stir the butter and flour mixture while you slowly add the flour or at any point?

4. Jennifer says:

When you say 1 b of vegetable broth… does that mean a box? I’m confused. I really want to make this for thanksgiving this year but I’m not sure about the broth measurement. Thank you in advance for a reply!

• jacqueline says:

that’s actually 2 c, which stands for 2 cups. that is 16 oz, so you can make sure you have enough if you’re buying it in the store.

• Claire says:

This recipe sounds SO delicious–I’m going to make it tomorrow. Do you have any suggestions for a spice to add besides dill? I love sage, but I have an aversion to dill. Perhaps I could use thyme or basil? Thanks!

5. Cheryl says:

May I ask what kind of butter? If its the standard butter from the local food mart this can’t be a vegan recipe.

• jacqueline says:

I use butter now because I am no longer vegan, but when I made this recipe I would use Earth Balance, which is a vegan margarine. Many people got confused by this name and asked what Earth Balance was so I found it easier to say “butter” and let people use whatever they are most comfortable with.

1. [...] making mashed potatoes Image by sweetbeetandgreenbean for the recipe: sweetbeetandgreenbean.net/2008/11/24/vegan-thanksgiving-h… [...]

2. […] making the gravy Image by sweetbeetandgreenbean for the recipe: sweetbeetandgreenbean.net/2008/11/24/vegan-thanksgiving-h… […]